What to Wear for Maternity Portraits
November 10th, 2014
Of all professional photo shoots, maternity / belly portraits may be the most challenging when it comes to figuring out what to wear. You may be taking these pictures at home or an outdoor location like a park. Or, if you are in San Diego, you might be taking them at the beach. These different locations call for a slight variation in what to wear as well.
Keep in mind the following for ANY location:
• Give that belly definition! It becomes the artful subject of the photos, and actually makes the rest of you look smaller. Clothing that shows of your form is best.
• Make sure that you choose something that you feel comfortable in. This is key to helping you feel and look relaxed and happy in your photos.
• If you are comfortable doing so, wearing a band top or even bathing suit top that allows us to get shots of your bare skin can be really beautiful.
• Wear classic styles to prevent the photograph from looking outdated later.
• A bit more make-up than normal appears natural in photos.
• Colorful accessories like scarves and jewelry can enhance the photo in an understated way.
• Subjects should dress in complementary colors.
• Dark colored clothing (especially pants) works well because it has a slimming effect in photographs.
• Long flowy maxi-dresses in photos can sometimes actually be less than flattering. There is a trick to making it work. It can potentially make you look a bit bigger overall because of how it hangs over and then below your belly (it makes one big area from your bust all the way to your ankles, without giving shape to your belly or legs). If you like the flowy look, skirts are easier to work with your shape by allowing us to still give form to your belly.
For maternity portraits on the beach:
• **Avoid solid white or cream tops as they can reflect light in certain settings. Especially if you like backlit, sunset photos, white tops are NOT recommended.
• For the guys – jeans look great on the beach. The blue undertones are a good hue, and if they get a bit wet it still looks good.
• Bare feet look awesome on the beach!
• This is a chance to show some skin, so don’t hesitate to consider a bathing suit top or even the full suit. (Remember these are your private photos, and you don’t have to share them if you don’t want to.)